11 February 2007

Every Pore's A Flaw

Today has been one of those days that never really got going. Attempts to leave the house were scuppered by Accountant’s discovery and subsequent obsession with the iTunes website and Chickie’s refusal to take a nap of convenience. Bored, I roamed around the house looking for ways to amuse myself.

“Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s the spottiest housewife of them all?” “That would be you, congratulations” came the reply. My quest for interest had led me to the room where my magnification mirror lay beckoning me over from the windowsill. An hour later, I bitterly resented the clarity of the 4 x optical zoom that had made it impossible to leave any pore unturned. This could be a 2 week healer but I’ll have a better idea once the swelling goes down. Accountant was unimpressed when he glanced up from the laptop to find me blotchy, purple and ashamed. He took a moment to ask, as always, whether I had been unfortunate enough to fall into a bed of stinging nettles before placing an order for Vienna by Ultravox.

It was ultimately Accountant’s fault for leaving me unattended. We had gone for a Chinese takeaway round Wayne and Sarah’s house the night before and Accountant had enjoyed an “Introduction to the World of Portable Media Players”, hence the five hours he’s spent today on the iTunes website and my resulting restlessness.

Wayne and Sarah are the couple who ran the Pre-Marriage Course at the Church where we were married. They tried to be upbeat and find some positives when the results of our compatability test came back. As far as I was concerned, I was more than compatible with my new diamond ring, and that was good enough for me. It was comforting to see the return of their concerned expressions. I'd missed the familiar furrows that had accompanied us through our 10 week course.

Sister’s battle to satisfy Gloops’ appetite continues. In a bold culinary move, she'd cooked the non-listed, Braising Steak. When she asked Gloops whether he liked it, he replied, “It’s alright but I don’t like the raisins”. Confused, Sister told him there weren’t any raisins in it. “Why’s it called Raisin Steak then?” he enquired.

No comments: