12 February 2007

Chick Steps Out of Line

As LucyWucy was crouched watching Chickie walk towards her, I was crouched elsewhere in a very different situation. She shrieked out excitedly to inform me that I had just missed my son’s first steps.

I spend virtually every waking moment with The Chick and had not only missed his first roll which he chose to premiere round my Sister’s but he’d betrayed me for a second time when he tottered unaided into the arms of another woman.

Lucy, sensing my disappointment, tried to recreate the circumstances that had inspired him to toss his walker to one side and try some fancy new legwork. The scene was set. I exit the room, Chickie gets upset and saunters into Lucy’s arms for comfort - and action. This time, however, Chickie wasn’t remotely bothered and plopped onto his bottom for a rest from all the walking. No amount of subsequent coaxing with just out of reach chocolate buttons, keys or mobile phone were incentive enough for Chickie, who felt his tried and tested crawling technique was the fastest way for this donkey to reach his carrot.

Baby Lucie and Emma had also been round to play today, along with Poffy (and her fluffy cat) who tracked Chickie’s progress with interest. I love babies when they’re this age and are forced to share their toys. A concept they don’t want to grasp and that makes for a tear filled afternoon.

Poffy showed off her new ‘poke the tummy’ trick. Just as well I’m not proud or it could have been deeply embarrassing when she pulled my shirt up and slapped my bellies.

I knew Accountant was wishing I had taken a little more pride in my appearance last night as he took in my freshly picked face, four Nora Batty hair rollers and dental gum shield that accompanied us to bed.

No comments: