07 February 2007

The King of the Castle

In stark contrast to Chickie’s bright eyed, bushy tailed-ness, I awoke wishing I could rewind to 11pm the night before as listening to two babies alternate screaming fits to ensure constant cover of the nine hour sleepy bye byes period had taken it’s toll. When Chickie stopped, the baby next door started, when she stopped, Chickie started up again and so on and so forth. Accountant snored through it all.

Luckily, the postman delivered my miracle cream, just when I needed it most. After liberal application, I still looked like me, just greasier. I decided it may need a bit longer to work it’s magic as it had a lot of magic to work. I asked ‘The Amazing Chickie’ to pop on his bow tie and say ‘Abracadabra’ to see if we could speed things up a bit. After an intense 5 minutes of “ABRA”, Chickie say, “ABRA” – “AB – RA”, I gave up. Chickie gave his standard response to all my attempts to expand his vocabulary, “Daddy”.

Today was a big day for Chickie as it was his first day at his new playgroup. He was checked in and proclaimed cute enough for entry. He was in a crowd pleaser mode, grinning excitedly at everyone, showing off his new big teeth.

All initial signs indicated Chickie was going to be a shy and sensitive soul but as he strutted into the room on all fours like a lion prowling around his new den, I could see he’d overcome his self confidence issues.

He flew off without so much as a cursory glance my way, checking out all the new toys and any potential threats to his new kingdom. He had a brilliant time and made a new little friend called Guy. They enjoyed lots of tugs of war over the course of the morning but left uninjured and on good terms.

We popped round to Sister’s house afterwards. Gloops (youngest nephew) is still having tantrums over the household menu. Sister, tired of the histrionics, asked him to write down what meals he deemed acceptable. Gloops happily obliged, pleased that his nutritional requirements were finally being taken seriously. Two thought filled hours later, he expectantly handed over his list:

Chicken and Chips
Chicken Pie and Chips
Shepherd’s Pie and Chips
Burger and Chips
Baked Beans and Chips
Fishfingers and Chips
Lasagne

No comments: