08 March 2007

Chickie's Log

I was parenting solo. The safety net of the ‘Parenting Predicament Intervention Team’ had been disbanded and I was left holding the very bouncy baby. Chickie must have smelt my depleted energy levels as he’s never been naughtier or faster.

The day began with my trying to secure a doctor’s appointment for Chickie. A hellish undertaking which requires the determination and endurance of a Duracell Bunny thanks to my surgery’s policy of not allowing pre-bookable appointments. At 8am, the lines open and the quickest bunny off the blocks gets the doc.

At 7.56am, I was armed and ready. Mobile in left hand, landline in right. Left hand “The Practice is now closed”, redial. Right Hand “The Practice is now closed”, redial. Left hand “The Practice is now closed”, redial”. Right hand. Engaged tone. Redial Left hand. Engaged tone. Redial.” Fifteen minutes of redialling to finally get told my doctor was fully booked and fobbed off onto another doctor.

It was a tiring morning chasing Chickie around the waiting room as he did a meet and greet with all those seated and having to convince the doctor that I really do give him his medicine dutifully every day. I REALLY DO!

Chickie spent the rest of the day being exceptionally naughty and concluding every act of defiance with a roguish grin.

Whilst I stood running his bath this evening, an au naturel Chickie took the opportunity to revel in the wind around his bottom cheeks, crawling manically from room to room like an ant on speed. As he entered the bathroom grinning, holding up his hand to me, I noticed he was holding something.

Something small, brown and stinky.

“Oh God Chickie, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo!”

No comments: