30 January 2007

Such A Perfect Day

Every once in a 15 month period, a day comes along where everything falls into place. Today was that day.

The sun was shining and Chickie was chirping. He spent his morning happily trying to destroy the new toy Grandma bought him, his distraction such that he didn’t even notice me commando roll out the room.

Then followed the perfect nap. To qualify for perfection it must incorporate the following features: mute descent to cot, simultaneous and immediate unconsciousness; 2 hour minimum duration. On retrieval, a nappy dumpling had successfully escaped which provided another tick in my “Yip pa dee do da” box.

Lunch was everything I’d spent many a dejected moment wishing it could be. He opened his mouth, he chewed, he swallowed. Chickie was showered with thank you kisses.

The All New Co-operative Chickie was then whisked off to Claire’s house to play with his mates. His clinginess was short lived as he happily trotted off to torment Matthew. I watched as he pushed the coveted shape sorter towards him provocatively, then, just as Matthew could almost touch it, he swiped it back with the speed of a ninja. He chuckled merrily at his fun little game whilst Matthew sobbed. Unfortunately, I had my hands full stuffing Jaffa Cakes into my mouth so could do little to intervene.

Three stories lower, another baby was sobbing. She had been pressing her little cocktail sausage sized finger on the doorbell for a full ten minutes but no one had answered. LucyWucy explained to a bewildered Poff that they’d have to go home and she was very sorry that she couldn’t play with her friends as promised. A heartbreaking tale and a lesson to all those who have loft rooms.

However, my day just got better (sorry Luce!). Claire kindly offered some tea to all the babies that had managed to gain entry into her house. As I pictured myself sat at home, wiping myself and everything in the immediate vicinity down with antibacterial wipes or Chickie sat in her house and her wiping everything down with antibacterial wipes once I’d left, I decided Option 2 worked best for me.

To all those who contributed to my perfect day, I love you all. Specifically, the Baby Whisperer (nap advice), the Organic Vegetable Soup People (straight down the hatch) and Claire (for letting us in, jaffa cakes, trashing your house instead of mine). Who knew parenting could go so smoothly?

No comments: