22 November 2006

Chick's First Kiss

Sweet Chickie is almost back. Bad Chickie still lingers at nap times but today has been so much better with only 10% of the day spent crying as opposed to 80%. Seeing the return of Sweet Chickie has made me feel guilty that I didn't constantly cuddle Bad Chickie and question whether I was fluffy enough during his 5 day Scream-a-Thon?

I've seen so many tv programmes, read so many books and listened to so much advice telling me how to be a good mother that I'm constantly analysing everything I do for fear that I'm doing it wrong.

When he was ill, he wanted to be cuddled all the time. If I'd never taken any notice of all the above, I would just have cuddled him as much as I practically could and done what I felt was right as I went along. Instead, I just worried "Am I cuddling him too much? Not enough? Am I creating a bad habit that will last forever? Will he feel abandoned if I don't cuddle him to sleep? Will he never sleep in his cot again if I do cuddle him to sleep or let him sleep on the sofa?"

I don't know if I'm the only mother that's obsessed like this but I've decided, it's stopping today. I see now that I got it wrong trying to be a "Textbook" Mummy. I'm going to give myself and my little boy a break by taking each day as it comes and cuddling him wholeheartedly whenever he reaches his arms up to me. Our precious time will be gone all too soon so I'm not going to waste it by scrutinising every second.

On a lighter note, The Chick had a playdate today with my gorgeous little Goddaughter, "The Wu". They had a lovely time and this photo captured the touching moment when she got him in a headlock! She later give him his first kiss (after the rather vigorous cuddle!)

Talking of firsts, Chickie added a few more words to his repertoire today. In addition to "Daddy and Uh-oh" he is trying to say "Tick Tock and Good Girl". Bless him.

No comments: